Sunday, January 24, 2016

Snow day

Living here in New England usually means dealing with some type of winter weather.  This could mean a mixture of rain, sleet, ice, and or snow for months.  Those dark and dreary long days devoid of pretty sunshine can be a challenge to one's mental well being for sure.  However,  I still enjoy living in an area that has four distinct seasons because it helps me keep my flow and rhythm with the natural cycles of life.

We have been spoiled this winter with an unusually warm start and very little precipitation in the form of ice or snow, that is, until this past weekend.  Our first storm, Anna, came to visit.  Depending on where you live, it really wreaked havoc in many areas along the coast as well as in other states. In our specific location, we were fairly lucky.  We dealt with manageable amounts of snow, and our plows have been up and running smoothly.   We feel very grateful indeed.  

I, myself, feel grateful in a way that I haven't felt in years.   I actually can't recall a snowstorm in the past several years where I haven't been in bed for days on end with a "nor'easter" migraine.  The wicked and fast changing pressure system absolutely does me in and is a huge trigger for me.   I am unable to even vaguely "enjoy" the snow.  I might run and take a few pictures quickly before I medicate to have some nice memories, but that is about it. I Can't remember building a snowman, lying in the snow creating a snow angel, or throwing snowballs at my hubby!! (Well, I better be careful of that one. He does the shoveling of course! LOL.)

But this past storm, I celebrated!  Woo Hoo!  Hubby and I had a most relaxing and fun snow day.  We stayed inside attacking some long overdue chores, cooked and baked, watched old movies, and snuggled under warm blankets.  He painted while I knitted.  We talked and texted family members giving and receiving updates on the storm.  I smiled and sang and gave God praise.  I was peaceful in body, mind, and spirit.  

Is the last round of Botox working? I am hoping so.  How long will this little break of mine last?  I don't know, but for now, I am enjoying every second of it.  I hardly want to sleep because I just want to savor this calm feeling.   I will continue to give God praise for all of his blessings because a thankful heart is what sees His Hands taking care of our lives.    

Maybe I will go make a snow angel and celebrate!
And if you are able,  be thankful, and go make one, too!    :))





On second thought....

2 comments:

  1. Lisa,
    I got such joy reading about how you enjoyed our latest winter storm ! So glad to hear you felt like baking, and knitting, and especially making snow angels!! I know after two knee surgeries, I can tell when the air pressure is dropping and precipitation is coming...I can only imagine what that does to your migraines?! Praising God that you were spared and taking heart in how you rejoice in the simple pleasures of life that many of us take for granted.
    Blessings to you sweet friend,
    Bev xx

    ReplyDelete