Monday, January 4, 2016

My year of YES

For the past couple of years I have been challenged with thinking of a "word for the year" to contemplate, pray about, and walk it out essentially.  This challenge intrigued me as another way to enhance my spiritual life and grow in my faith.  This word for the year was presented to me three years into my illness, so I first chose the word HOPE.  That word I hung onto with fervor (and of course still do!),  but I really let it lead me through the tough and confusing and weary days.  Last year I chose BRAVE as my word.  Boy, did I need to be and feel brave as my illness took twisted and scary turns, and I just kept feeling more helpless and weak and lost.   I learned that no matter if people choose the same word, that word's meaning can sure look different for everyone depending upon their specific circumstances and season in life.  God was revealed to me in deeper ways through HOPE and BRAVE for sure.  

This brings me to my word for this year---YES!!  I prayed a lot about my word, and I felt that God was asking me to say YES to my circumstances no matter what lies ahead for me personally or with my family.  My health challenges and struggles continue and even though I feel God has said NO to my physical healing for now, He wants me to say and live YES.  That seems like a tall order to me, but I am going to give it a go.  Our Blessed Mother said YES, and her YES changed EVERYTHING.   I have no doubt she was scared and frightened and confused too, but she offered her YES completely with complete trust.

I will try and offer my YES completely only with God's amazing grace.  I am going to say YES to new treatment regimens and doctors.  I am going to say YES to being more compassionate and gentle with myself and stop pushing my body and mind and spirit to the point of trying to "look strong".  Saying YES to letting go of expectations of myself or others that don't serve me well. I am going to say YES to offering my weakness and brokenness to God and allowing Him to do His work through the weakness---not inspite of it, but BECAUSE of it. 

I look forward to saying YES to more opportunities to good times with family and friends while pursuing more joy and laughter which have sorely been lost in me.  Living out YES will involve some interior changes that feel a bit scary right now, but that is okay.  I am taking it one day, one moment, at a time. 

Most importantly, my complete YES means giving THANKS to my God in EVERY circumstance.  Receiving His blessings with thankfullness and praise and a big YES is how I want to live my days.  

My friends, I pose the one word challenge to you.  Maybe you already have accepted it and are well on your way!  Yahoo!  If not, it is something to think about for the new year.   

                                          YES!!!


1 comment:

  1. Lisa,
    I am always amazed and encouraged when I read your writing! It takes a lot of courage to look at life...as it is...and still say "Yes"! It's easy to say "Yes" to God when like is flowing smoothly, but if the way gets bumpy or downright cumbersome at times, our "yes" may turn to "I'm not quite sure?" Know that I am right here cheering you on and joining with you in saying "Yes". My word for 2016 is "See". I won't go into all the different facets I want to explore, but trust you'll pray me on as well!
    Blessings sweet friend,
    Bev xx

    ReplyDelete