Thursday, June 21, 2018

Summer is here!

Summer has officially arrived in all of its glory.   After our crazy “Spring”, I think we are all ready for a change.  I, for one, am excited about stepping fully into this season which is full of warmth and light.  Nature is so alive and colorful and bearing much fruit. 

Ever since I was little, I longed for summer days just hanging out with friends participating in carefree moments that took a break from academics and so called structured learning.  There was always something to do, but better yet, there was always nothing to do.  As long as the day ended with eating juicy slices of watermelon, pondering the ever evolving night skyscape,  and catching fireflies, then all seemed right with the world.  

My days sure look a lot different from my childhood memories of feeling carefree due to living with chronic migraine disease.    I used to LOVE being in the sun at poolside or the beach.  I could take long walks in the heat and sun and never think a thing of it.  Now, I need to be very mindful of my stricter boundaries on navigating my summer days.   

Most migraineurs experience photosensitivty from both the sunlight as well as many inside bright, fluorescent lights, and the new LEDs are terrible!  I go nowhere without my shades and don them wherever and whenever deemed necessary to withstand the unpleasant environment.  Big box stores are really a no-no for me more than 15 minutes.  Frequently I am also wearing my baseball cap with a nice visor to help cut glare as well.   

As far as the heat, I don’t tolerate that well anymore.  I stay mostly in the shade if possible and keep cool inside during the real heat of the day.   By evening time, I take walks with my hubby on the boardwalk or in our neighborhood while  enjoying the beautiful summer sunsets.   It is all good. I live and move with great gratitude for every second spent out of a dark room too sick to move.   

So here is to eating juicy watermelon and watching sunsets and catching fireflies!  Here is to gathering for picnics and sharing life with one another! Here is to choosing joy and offering kindness to the world around us.  

Here is to wearing shades today in solidarity for migraine awareness 😎😎





May everyone have an awesome summer!! 






No comments:

Post a Comment