Sunday, May 27, 2018

A commencement ceremony, a landscape of pretty cacti, and a little bit of crazy

It gets me every time.  The band starts to play “Pomp and Circumstance”, and I fall apart.  As I watch my son and the other graduates of the proud class of 2018 file into the arena, I can barely see straight to take photos.  I yell, clap, and fiddle with my phone, but mostly I become one, hot mess.  I take some deep cleansing breaths just to calm down.   It is as if I am not part of this reality. Instead, my mind shifts focus to all the years leading up to this very special event. Flashbacks run through my mind as I think about his growing up so quickly that it seems it all happened in a heartbeat.  Why just recently he made his decision to attend UTAustin!  Now he is finished! How can this be?! I desperately want time to stand still just for awhile.  If these few moments could be freeze-framed, I would be happy.   As the graduates march to their seats and file in accordingly, I do my best to regroup and return to the present moment.  

I realize this is not a new scenario for many parents.  The mixed emotions of the days that lead up to a child’s graduation are deep and heartfelt in ways that words cannot accurately express.  I think that since this is my last son’s college graduation, it feels extra bittersweet.   This is a mama’s sappy heart which holds the greatest gratitude for every single ounce of grace that brings our family together on this special and proud occasion.  Gathering together and witnessing all four of our sons’ milestones over the years are nothing short of miracles.   

The other miracle lies in the fact that our family (with all of its challenges and limitations) even made it to Austin in one piece! Believe me, anyone who knows us can attest to this. We aren’t the kind of family that jumps out of bed and easily makes our way to some important destination. We jump through hoops and traverse obstacles as if we are in military training even for the simplest of get-a-ways.  I have been preparing for this trip for the past four years right after my son stepped foot onto the campus.  I made up my mind I WOULD gain the strength and courage to be there for his commencement. This is what mamas do!!  

I asked anybody and everybody to please pray for us, and I wasn’t kidding.  

God came through BIG!  Doesn’t He always??    He guided and protected our family through the entire two weeks of our trip which certainly consisted of some pain and difficulties.  However, each day unfolded beautifully, simply, and peacefully.  We couldn’t have asked for more.  

Exploring the Austin area was a fun little adventure.   Our oldest son now lives there out in the hill country.  We enjoyed seeing his place of residence for the first time. We are thankful for his transition to the area. He is an expert tour guide and knows his way around the city as well as the hill country ——and of course, knows all the yummy barbecue dives!!   He certainly introduced us to the local Texas cuisine. I don’t think we could have navigated the tricky city driving without his expertise and enthusiasm.  

In addition to the local cuisine, observing the variety of desert cacti was fun.  I really liked the diverse foliage with the unique blooming cacti all over the place. Having the opportunity to visit the LBJ Wildflower gardens was a real treat.  The heat was bearable and not oppressive, thankfully, so we were able to stroll around the pathways and take in nature’s beauty.   

We helped pack up our son’s four years of “stuff” as well as memories. He said his goodbyes to friends and professors and is now looking forward to his next big adventures.  We are so very proud of the young man he is becoming. 

Overall, our crazy family schlepped our way around the city in our own crazy manner.  It wasn’t always easy, but we did it, and we are proud of ourselves!!  We took care of one another and gave one another courage to keep moving forward. 

Upon return I am now exhausted.  My stamina and strength have disappeared.   I will need several days to recover and allow my body to rest.  This is okay because the important thing is that I made the trip with my cantankerous head for which I am deeply grateful.  New boundaries were stretched and new journeys and adventures lie ahead.   Thanks be to God.  




 



















No comments:

Post a Comment