Monday, August 28, 2017

Lean in, listen closely, and linger longer

"Rest is not idleness, and to lie sometimes on the grass under trees on a summer's day, listening to the murmur of the water, or watching the clouds float across the sky, is by no means a waste of time."  
                  John Lubbock,  The Use of Life

While summertime has a rhythm and flow all of its own which tends towards a lot of "doing"---going on vacations, celebrating friendships over backyard  picnics, entertaining the kids out of school, and maybe attending local baseball games, it is still important to make space for some rest.   Holy Rest.  Slowing down and fully embracing the quieter moments that summertime has to offer can be full of soul refreshment.  It is like sipping a cool, tall glass of fresh iced tea or lemonade while siting on a neighbor's porch and being fully present without an agenda or expectation.   No rushing allowed.  Practicing leaning in and listening closely as if time stands still for a brief, few moments are  cherished.  A spiritual thirst is quenched.  

It always seem like I can hardly wait for the arrival of summer especially after a long, cold and dreary spring up here in New England.  I have my ideas and agendas which are only loosely set in soft sand.  I absolutely love the break in routine and just go with the flow.  That's how we fly at our home currently.  Lots of comings and goings and activity balanced with the need for rest and quiet.  But then before I know it, August is upon us!  Where did the time go?!!  

I still wish for daylight to last past 8:00pm!  Now after we eat dinner, we hurry to clean up the dishes to get to our boardwalk before dark.  That little bit of rushing can sometimes make me feel anxious.  However, I guess that is preparing me for the fall routine.  Wow.  The sunsets this summer have been magnificent.  I want to see every one of them so as not to ever take for granted God's grandeur of His glorious gifts.  His beauty shines forth upon this dark and messy world.  God is in control.  

Looking over the past seven years of living with chronic M, I must say that this summer has brought me the greatest joy of participating in my life once again.  I still journey through the ups and downs wth this disease and the unpredictability of what the next hour will bring, but I am learning better how to manage and cope.  I care for my body differently now and realize the importance of balancing the doing with the being. 

I would love to hear of some of your highlights and adventures you experienced this summer.  I also am happy to listen to your struggles as well.  This is life no matter what season we are in at the moment.  

Maybe in the next few weeks we have left of summer, we could slow down from the frantic pace of preparing for fall and lean into the wonders of nature.  Let's stop and listen more closely to someone in need and offer some encouragement.   How about we linger longer in the unhurried moments that are left of this bright and sunny season.  Meet me on my deck, and we can sip some fresh iced tea and smile.  















4 comments:

  1. Lisa,
    I would LOVE to meet you on the deck and sip some refreshing tea and talk awhile. I loved this post!! Silly people that we are we don't realize that rest is a good use of time. Until I was forced to rest with my recuperation, I don't think I realized what a necessary part of self care rest is. Slowing down, watching a sunset, walking along the water, the ocean, or a stream is basking in the Creation God has given us. What better use of time is that. As I get stronger, I pray I will not rush back into the hurried pace of life and forget the God given need for rest and being still. Wonderful reminder!!
    Love and blessings,
    Bev ((xoxo))

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We will sip tea together one day. I just feel it! Hope your lingering is full of quiet and peace. May your healing continue to be at a steady pace. Xoxo

      Delete
  2. So well done my friend.

    Love to you and the family always,

    K+++

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Remember the days of our past now behind us as we prepared our children for the beginning of a new school year. Hard to believe time has passed so very quickly! Hoping your recent trip brought you renewal and peace. 😊🙏💞

      Delete