Friday, January 11, 2019

New year. New Joy.

The gift of Joy.

"These things I have spoken to you, that my joy may be in you, and that your joy may be full."     
                     John 15:11

Jesus graciously offers His Joy to us.  We need only to actively receive it.  Joy is not necessarily feeling happy all the time. There are many moments and seasons in our lives that we may find it difficult to be in a happy place per say.  This probably is due to stressful circumstances.  However, we can still choose joy.  As we choose joy, we instinctively desire to offer it to others.

Personally, even in the midst of my most painful migraine flare-ups, I experience a profound sense of joy.  God blesses me with a beautiful support system of family and friends, and I never really feel totally alone.  I feel a peaceful joy when I allow my body to rest and ride the waves of the painful storm.   Joy is when my hubby kindly cares for my needs or when we can watch Dick Van Dyke reruns on the TV to distract me from the pain. Taking walks on the boardwalk in the evenings fills me with joy even while I may not physically feel well.  I may not go around with a big smile on my face or feel like laughing much, but there is joy residing in my heart.  That joy matters.  It matters because joy gives me hope and encouragement to keep walking my journey. 

Joy may be experiencing the splendor of a glorious sunrise or sunset as we take the time to notice its magnificent beauty. 

Joy may be offering kindness to a weary soul who could use some encouragement and maybe a hug.

Joy may be found in sharing some good news with someone special who wants to celebrate life's wonderful moments.

Joy may be found in simply sitting with another person during a difficult time and allowing that person to share his burdens while you remain quiet. This is an intimate and somber exchange of joy.

Joy may be found in sending  humorous texts and messages to those we love offering cheer and silliness to brighten their day.

Joy is being immersed while listening to a musical concert that brings you peace in the present moment.

Joy is being surrounded by your pet's love and attention and devotion to you.

Joy certainly may be found in witnessing a new, sweet life being born into the world which is a profound, sacred experience.

Joy is embracing the extraordinary in the ordinary of everyday.

Dear friends, let us think about how we can humbly accept the wonderful gift of Joy this year and then pass it forward to this world which seems to need it now more than ever.










2 comments:

  1. Love celebrating with JOY!!! Plenty to go around as we begin 2019!
    Thanks for bringing us JOY!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lisa,
    It was funny that as I was reading the part about joy coming to us from our animals, I was being slurped on the face by a beagle lol. My life may not be 100% joyful, but this glimpse of joy in the moment is worth rejoicing in. Lovely post!
    Blessings,
    Bev xo

    ReplyDelete